Friday, November 21, 2008

Reading a classic

Last night I started a new book, I thought I'd go with a classic. Yep, Little Women. I do remember seeing the movie (the version with Winona Ryder), but I don't think I've ever read the book. So, I started it. It's always nice to read a classic isn't it?


And for those mothers out there, if you haven't visited the Girl Talk blog, I highly encourage you to do so! They are posting this week about mothering (...to the glory of God). I could listen all day to Carolyn Mahaney on this subject - she is so wise yet incredibly humble. I love her quote from Wednesday's post:

"Faith toward God is the foundation of effective mothering. Success as a mother doesn’t begin with hard work or sound principles or consistent discipline (as necessary as these are). It begins with God: His character, His faithfulness, His promises, His sovereignty. And as our understanding of these truths increases, so will our faith for mothering."

I'm not a mother myself yet (but am hoping and praying that I will be very soon!), but I am so encouraged by this message.

Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare. Psalm 40:4-5

1 comment:

Veronica @ A Quiet Heart said...

Hi Jessica! I am so happy to "meet" you!
I am always so surprised to find someone who enjoys my blog, but I just love "meeting" new friends!
I am excited to see how your apron project turns out, and I will definitely be checking back in as time allows. :)
By His Grace,
Veronica
www.thewhitleyfamily.net