Monday, November 24, 2008

Motivate me Monday

During this week I started a blog and joined the 5am club. It has been a big week! You don't know what the 5am club is? Head over to Sarah Mae's blog to find out. It has been a joy to be involved in this, in so many ways. I think it is great timing too.

Even though the club has '5am' in the title, I have been rising consistently at 6am (mainly because my schedule allows me to have an 'extra' sleeping hour at the moment) the last few days. The main reason for this is to start the day off in God's word and prayer. And what a blessing. I can sure relate to what Paul said about "...the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." When I hear that alarm my first reaction is to hit snooze and not worry about my quiet time, or that I'll fit it in later - but often that is not the case.

The trick I've found is a quick prayer to God to give me strength and energy and perseverence to get up out of my warm bed. That feeling of extreme tiredness soon fades and I do feel really thankful in getting up and spending that time with the Lord - before the rest of the day rushes to a start.

I'm reading through Leviticus at the moment (in a Bible reading plan) which has been a bit of a struggle, but the 5am girls have helped me stick with it. I found Lisa's email particularly encouraging this week - she shared Psalm 112:4 - Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.

Despite the difficulties that we are facing at the moment, it is so amazing and not to mention comforting, to know that Jesus is our light and that He indeed is gracious, compassionate and righteous. Have a good week. :)

6 comments:

Janell said...

I agree that verse was a blessing! This is such a great journey...thanks for your prayers! Happy Monday!!!

MamaHen Em said...

It's pretty nice to know others are waking and praying, regardless of where we are. I too, get up at 6am, so I'll think of you when I am struggling to get out of bed!

Lisa said...

I heard once that it takes 14 days to make something a habit, and only 3 to break it...(of course, I'm sure that only applies to good habits, not bad ones...)

I also loved the verse in Psalms, as well as Psalm 5:3 - "In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."

I love how we get to pray and communicate with our Lord, and then we wait the rest of the day, ready for Him to answer! What an awesome God!

Christy said...

I just joined the 5AM club today and was dropping by and visiting some of the other girls that are a part of this. I normally begin my day about 6:30 with having to get my children up and out the door for school. Tomorrow will be my first morning of waking earlier! I have been so encouraged by hearing how God is showing up and doing such neat things in everyone's life.

I'll be lifting up some prayers tonight as I go to bed for him to give me plenty of rest, strength, and willingness to be an early riser!

::Traci:: said...

I agree! My warm bed seems to beg me to stay as well ... but there is so much joy in the feelings I have after I've spent the morning w/ my God!

BTW, I love your blog layout. It is so cute!

Sarah Mae said...

What a wonderful post! I love that verse as well - perhaps I should tape it to my alarm clock!

I am so glad you are joining us!!!